Saturday, December 13, 2014

Just Like Daddy Told Me

When I was a child I thought like a child now I'm all grown up... 

Memories of my dad coming from a 'Safari' with some 'Delamere' yoghurt, chips and chicken still linger in my mind. I remember how we would help him unpack as we looked forward to enjoy our rewards and gifts. I remember how we would be so excited when he came back home with a new television screen or a new music player...

More than all the other memories, I remember his favourite quote that, all the things he was doing were not for him to enjoy, but for us. He used to say all his efforts at work, the reason he would wake up very early to go to work was for his children. 

Back then, it didn't make sense to me; now it does. Ever since God blessed us with our son Israel I got re-energized, got a new zeal for life; my father's words finally made sense to me... At times I get worked up, worn out, ready to give up but then I see my son and somehow all my worries fade away. Like my father I say, 'I'm doing my best now so he can have a better tomorrow'. 

One day my son will be all grown up... May God help me instil in him values that will guide him for the rest of his life. That even when we're long gone, he will not depart from them!

2 comments: